Thursday 19 February 2015

What Next When Your Dhokla Flops / Fails???

What Next When Your Dhokla Flops / Fails???

Dhokla has been known world wide and Im very sure Every Indian foodie would like to try making dhokla at home, atleast once in his / her life time


I have tried making dhokla once when I was a teenager seeing from a recipe book!! Oh what a big flop it was. I decided never to trust any recipe book there on!!  Exposure to internet has helped me find a best fool proof recipe!! 

I have been making dhokla just like that for quiet few years now and taught my neighbors and relatives as well!! 

But yesterday was something different I dont realize where things went wrong, because I was working with double the amt of ingredients!! may be next time I should stick to the regular measurements.

As seen in the above pic, yesterday dhokla has turned out that way! Regular tempering would just make it too bad specially which needs adding water too!!




I am the one who do not like to waste cooked food. If it turns not right I try to recreate it some way so that there is no loss taking place due to silly mistakes. I instantly thought of giving the steamed dhokla a twist. Where the dhokla will loose its original shape, but will retain its taste!! 




Bingo!!! You see the results in pics here :) All we needs is some patience to think on what are possible options we can make use of!!!

When my dad saw me doing this he did ask me why dint it turn right? He had always tasted a perfect one from me, and a flop show was unexpected :D

Though I dint had any answer to why it dint turn perfect, But I had something to eat instead of wasting.

Here im not giving the recipe for dhokla, As this post is just a solution to what can be done if regular dhokla fails. 

I would add up my recipe for dhokla may be somewhere around soon!!

Ingredients:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Curry leaves - Few
Coriander leaves 2-3 tbsp chopped
Green chillies - Chopped finely
Oil - 1-2 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2tsp (add more if needed)
Salt if needed
Water - 2-3 tbsp if needed

Method:
- Break Dhoklas in to small chunks
- Heat oil in a kadai, Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Lower the flame.
- Add in curry leaves, coriander leaves and green chillies and saute for a min. 
- Add in the dhokla chunks, sugar, salt if needed and mix it well. And you are ready to serve.

Since my dhoklas were dry, I made a well at center, Added 2-3 tbsp of water and closed the lid of kadai for a while. say 2-3 mins

This was done to make the dhoklas little moist. Open the lid and mix it all well. But allow it to rest for a while sometimes It may look soggy when exposed to heat. It will get back to normal once cooling down.


Eat it in normal room temp with pudina chutney or just like that.
In case you want it hot, you may reheat it without any issues. 

Garnish it with some more coriander leaves and serve (I dint)

I am also assuming adding a tsp of ghee to this would lift up the taste more. Though this idea kept flashing my mind but I literally dint bother to try it!!

Trust me a little more work will not make u stressed out, You will enjoy best evening snacks either way, Whether Dhokla is hit or flop Coin of Success will be at your hands :)



There are few more ideas running inside my mind!! Will try to implement it and post here if successful.

Until then make dhoklas and enjoy!!

If you try this out anytime do drop back a comment on how it turned!! :)


Share This

5 comments:

  1. love this idea of upma from flops,

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great remake dear..looks yummmy,I too don't like wasting food :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea!!! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very important to know how to recreate something out of a flop:)Loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. Why waste food when it can be converted a nice dish like this dhokla. I certainly agree with your invention.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback Means Alot :) Do Drop Ur Word Of Thoughts

About Us

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates- Published By Gooyaabi Templates