Chilli powder - 1tsp
Coriander powder - 1tsp heaped
Cumin powder - 1tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder - 1/4th tsp
Salt to taste
- Grind onion and tomato into fine paste keep it aside
- Clean wash fish pieces, marinate it with 2tsp of fish masala, little turmeric powder and salt for min 10-15 mins. (save the oil to use in gravy if any left)
- Shallow fry, 2 mins each side in medium heat. Make sure not to break the pieces while frying. This process is done to kill the extra raw pungent smell fish may emit into the gravy.
- In a kadai use the left over oil from frying process hardly 1 or 2tbsp oil will be left. If no?? then use fresh oil.
- Heat kadai enough and add in the onion tomato paste, ginger garlic paste, and Fish Masala 1tsp, salt and dry masalas. Saute it till raw smell of ginger garlic paste start fading away it will take 3-4 mins in medium flame. Or cook more if you desire.
- Add in 3-4 cups of water allow it to
- As it starts boiling add in fish pieces and lower the flame close lid and allow it to cook in for minimum of 5 mins.
- Open the lid and add in tamarind pulp / juice just as needed and stir in slowly without disturbing the fish pieces. It will be very soft and might tend to break quickly.
- At this point take pleasure to taste the gravy if u need more salt? spice? tanginess? Adjust everything at this point if you want the gravy more runny, you can add in more water too.
- Boil It again for 2-3 mins in high flame adjusting the consistency and you are done!!
- Serve it with Hot steaming rice & Enjoy
- If you want to avoid frying fish at 1st step you can add fish pieces into boiling gravy but again make sure do not stir it as fish might break. Just a shake / jerk to the kadai will be enough.
- I have added ingredients measurements according to my family taste you can plus / minus ingredients as per your choice
- Fish Masala will add a unique flavor and taste to this gravy
- Onion and tomato paste gives thickness to gravy
- Saute the onion paste with spices nicely to kill the smell if not done it might effect the flavor of gravy
- Make sure the taste of this gravy has gud amount of spice and tanginess to eat and drool with
- Boil for more time to reach the right consistency if needed or add water to make it runny if u find it too thick.
- Mostly mom makes use of Dry mango pieces into the gravy is much tangier than tamarind. Here I have used tamarind and got gud taste equally
- Salt water fish can be used for same recipe.
And should I say How nicely I polished off my plate????